Wednesday, February 10, 2016

IDPA Indoor Action Pistol Match 2/10/2016

I was again struggling with shooting with both eyes open at this indoor IDPA action pistol match at Texas Panhandle Pistol Club. My times were close to the regular top finishing shooters (placed 2nd out of 11 total), but my accuracy wasn't as good as I would've liked. It kind of felt like I wasn't even paying attention to my sights at all. After I botched the second stage (had another jam when I inserted a mag during a reload and had a miss on a target), I decided that I need to just stop worrying about how fast my splits and transitions are, and just concentrate on "seeing" the sights for each trigger pull regardless of how slow it may feel.  Once I am completely comfortable with this whole both eyes open thing, then I'll work on picking up the pace again. It feels like I am starting over from scratch! 😜

Update 2/14/2016: After watching this episode of The Practical Pistol Show, I've decided to go back to shooting with one eye closed.  When I shoot with both eyes open and focusing on the targets, I feel that the sights are just too blurry to get accurate hits quickly on targets past 7 yards.  With one eye closed, I have the ability to easily go from target focus down to front sight focus (and anywhere in between) depending on the difficulty/distance of the shot. I simply cannot do this with both eyes open with my eyeglass prescription. There are plenty of top-level shooters that shoot with one eye closed, and I feel that my accuracy and speed at longer distances would suffer if I were to continue shooting with both eyes open.  That being said, I think shooting with both eyes open in a self defense situation (7 yards or less) has a lot of value, as I wouldn't take the time to shut one eye and get a perfect sight picture in that type of high stress scenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment