Monday, January 14, 2019

CZ USA Gen1 P-07 Handgun Build

I recently built another CZ-USA P-07 handgun using an old used Gen1 DUTY frame that I picked up dirt cheap. I paired the frame with my optic-ready Gen1 slide with a Burris Fastfire3 optic. I also added a Primary Machine Stealth Comp to the gun to bring it to an extreme "tacti-cool" level. I spent quite a bit of time refining the Gen1 DUTY frame by rounding off all the sharp edges and doing a 360-degree stipple job on it since it doesn't have interchangeable backstraps. I tried out a new stippling technique that worked really well for me. It has a medium aggressive texture which is perfect for concealed carry, and I think it looks and feels good too. I liked the new stippling texture so much that I re-stippled my P-09 that I use for 3-Gun with the same technique.

One of the downsides to using a Gen1 DUTY frame is that the mags don't drop free when you press the mag release button (apparently its a European thing). I was able to get this frame to freely drop mags with a LOT of sanding and polishing inside the magwell. It was a lot of work, but well worth the effort as it was messing me up at shooting matches when the mags wouldn't drop out of the gun during slide-lock reloads.

I didn't want to use red Loctite on the barrel threads along with the supplied set screws to secure the compensator to the barrel per the instructions, as I didn't like the idea of not being able to easily remove the comp for cleaning or whatever.  So, I used an over-sized rubber o-ring (5/8" OD x 7/16" ID x 3/32") and shaved it down to a specific outside diameter to allow the comp to thread on to it's tightest point against the o-ring and be correctly lined up with the slide. I'm not able to get the comp as close to the slide as I would prefer with this method, but the comp has not moved at all while shooting and I can remove the comp as easily as a thread protector. The comp definitely helps reduce muzzle flip when shooting the gun, but there is no reduction of perceived recoil in the hand.  I still haven't decided if the added length is worth the effort/discomfort to carry it, but I love using the Streamlight TLR-1 HL light (800 lumens version), so the extra length of the comp is kind of a wash.

Despite the longer length of the gun with the comp and the TLR-1 light, I've been able to conceal carry this gun for 14 hours a day for the last couple of weeks using a custom kydex holster that I made that indexes on the light rather than the gun.  Yes, it's a little more uncomfortable compared to my other compact guns, but it's definitely doable.

  





No comments:

Post a Comment