Monday, December 4, 2017

DIY High Visibility Front Sight Modification

I recently came across an article on pistol-training.com (linked below) for a DIY High Visibility Front Sight modification and figured I would try it out on my new mostly stock CZ P-07 and Glock 19 Gen4. I've heard about using florescent paint on the front sight before, but I wasn't sure how that would work around the tritium vial of night sights. I've installed factory tritium 3-dot sights on both of the guns (mainly because I already had the CZ sights), so using the hole punched pinstripe tape seemed like a great method. I've gotta say... my old eyes really like it! 😁 Why not just buy Trijicon HD sights? Because the HD sights aren't available for all the different guns I carry. Plus, I've got enough pinstripe tape to do this several hundred times for only $5. I liked this modification so much that I went ahead and modified all of my carry guns. 😎


  

UPDATE: October 2018
I'm now using florescent green pinstripe tape on my red dot sight guns to contrast with the dot while still using red on my non-optic guns. I've also simplified the installation process by using a 1/16" hole punch to cut out the hole for the tritium lamp to show through, and then a larger 1/8" hole punch to cut the outside edge into a perfect hi-viz ring. The 1/8" outside diameter will fit most tritium front sight posts without any trimming. Once the hi-viz ring has been punched out, gently position it on the front sight post and press it down firmly with your finger. You may have to add a little heat to activate the adhesive depending on the brand of tape that you use. Once the hi-viz ring is in position it can be sealed onto the front sight post by putting a little dab of clear fingernail polish over it.  This keeps it protected from most cleaning solutions and lube, but is easily removed with a little fingernail polish remover.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment